Page 141 of 141

Re: Kino

Posted: Wed May 20, 2026 4:15 pm
by brundlefly
Restoration trailer for Antonio Carlos da Fontoura's A Rainha Diaba.

Re: Kino

Posted: Fri May 22, 2026 11:25 am
by domino harvey
Triumph of the Will discussion split off here

Re: Kino

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2026 11:38 am
by brundlefly
Restoration teaser for E. Elias Merhige's Begotten.

Re: Kino

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2026 3:00 pm
by Forrest Taft
Great news, I’ve always wanted to see this.

Re: Kino

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2026 8:28 pm
by pistolwink
I fondly(?) remember the effusive praise for that film by Susan Sontag, which became the linchpin of the film's marketing, to a humorous degree. (Nearly the same went for Sokurov's Mother and Son, whose trailer not only used her name twice, but actually had her signature on screen.)

Probably partly as a result of her endorsement, Begotten became one of the strangest and most cult-y films to be available at my local video stores.

Re: Kino

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2026 11:00 pm
by beamish14
pistolwink wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2026 8:28 pm I fondly(?) remember the effusive praise for that film by Susan Sontag, which became the linchpin of the film's marketing, to a humorous degree. (Nearly the same went for Sokurov's Mother and Son, whose trailer not only used her name twice, but actually had her signature on screen.)

Probably partly as a result of her endorsement, Begotten became one of the strangest and most cult-y films to be available at my local video stores.
Did Begotten ever get 35mm prints? I thought it did receive 16mm distribution that was marketed towards the college screening crowd

Re: Kino

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2026 12:13 pm
by Robin Davies
brundlefly wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2026 11:38 am Restoration teaser for E. Elias Merhige's Begotten.
I got this on DVD years ago, lured by the inevitable Eraserhead comparisons. Some of the imagery is powerful but overall I found it very tedious.

Re: Kino

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 4:35 am
by domino harvey
I n December, 1930, Russian revolutionary film director Sergei Eisenstein travelled to Mexico to experience firsthand its “geographical, ethnological, cultural and historical diversity,” and to make a film he would call ¡Que Viva México! After shooting more than 30 hours of 35mm film—striking compositions of centuries-old Mayan ruins, traditional funeral rites of the indigenous people, the raucous festivities of Día de Muertos, and so much more—Eisenstein departed Mexico in April 1932, without having begun to edit. The footage instead made its way into the hands of other filmmakers, who sought to approximate his bold vision. A first of its kind, SERGEI EISENSTEIN ¡MÉXICO! assembles newly restored versions of those films derived from Eisenstein's legendary Mexican footage: Thunder Over Mexico (1933) and Death Day (1934) by Sol Lesser, Time in the Sun (1940) by Marie Seton, Bell & Howell’s four-volume Mexican Symphony by Willam F. Kruse and Egon Mauthner (1940-41), and the debut of Idols Behind Altars (2026), a diptych of Eisenstein's raw footage conceived by Bruce Posner with a new score by Paul D. Miller (aka DJ Spooky). This special two-disc collection also includes rare outtakes, photographs, sketches, and documentaries featuring historians and filmmakers who savor the brilliance of the Mexican footage, and discuss the challenges in representing a masterpiece which exists only in tantalizing fragments.

Product Extras :
A Trip to Tetlapayac, a 2022 Documentary by Ian Christie and Chiemi Shimade
Sensuous Lines, Eisenstein's Mexican Drawings 1930-32
Interview with Kenneth Anger Discussing ¡Que Viva Mexico!
Kenneth Anger's Scorpio Rising
Illustrated 48-Page Booklet of Essays and Notes
Gallery of Photographs
And More
Last minute contender for release of the year

Re: Kino

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 5:06 am
by swo17
Woah. So does this not include ¡Que Viva México! but all the footage can be found throughout these other films?

Re: Kino

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 5:10 am
by Matt
I was a little confused as to why Scorpio Rising would seemingly randomly be on this release, so here's the connection:
A Philological Quandary, Kenneth Anger’s ¡Que Viva Mexico! (2026, dir. Bruce Posner)

Kenneth Anger edited his own version of Sergei Eisenstein’s unfinished Mexican reverie, and even showed it at a festival. Alas leaving no trace of the object. Bruce Posner, now, created his own multi-screen variation on the story that lyrically compares moments from ¡Que Viva Mexico! with scenes from Anger’s avant-garde axiom Scorpio Rising.

Re: Kino

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 6:30 pm
by pistolwink
A first of its kind, SERGEI EISENSTEIN ¡MÉXICO! assembles newly restored versions of those films derived from Eisenstein's legendary Mexican footage: Thunder Over Mexico (1933) and Death Day (1934) by Sol Lesser, Time in the Sun (1940) by Marie Seton, Bell & Howell’s four-volume Mexican Symphony by Willam F. Kruse and Egon Mauthner (1940-41), and the debut of Idols Behind Altars (2026), a diptych of Eisenstein's raw footage conceived by Bruce Posner with a new score by Paul D. Miller (aka DJ Spooky). This special two-disc collection also includes rare outtakes, photographs, sketches, and documentaries featuring historians and filmmakers who savor the brilliance of the Mexican footage, and discuss the challenges in representing a masterpiece which exists only in tantalizing fragments.
This is the way to do it. There's no definitive version of this film, so just stick 'em all on there as a kind of scholarly edition. Kind of amazing nobody's done this before.

That said... I'm assuming this includes the feature-length 1980(ish) version entitled Que Viva Mexico put together by Aleksandrov, which doesn't seem to be explicitly mentioned. It'd be very strange if this were excluded as it's the best-known version of the footage and Kino released it on VHS once upon a time.

Re: Kino

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 6:55 pm
by domino harvey
And on DVD, which I bought within the last year or so

Re: Kino

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 11:18 pm
by denti alligator
pistolwink wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2026 6:30 pm That said... I'm assuming this includes the feature-length 1980(ish) version entitled Que Viva Mexico put together by Aleksandrov, which doesn't seem to be explicitly mentioned. It'd be very strange if this were excluded as it's the best-known version of the footage and Kino released it on VHS once upon a time.
And yet it is not listed, therefore presumably absent. Strange.

Re: Kino

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2026 5:51 am
by Peacock
Is there perhaps a licensing issue with Que Viva related to the Russian sanctions that the other versions aren’t affected by?

Re: Kino

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:00 pm
by pistolwink
I could easily imagine that's the case, but how then does Deaf Crocodile end up licensing stuff from Russia?

Re: Kino

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 1:02 am
by FlickeringWindow
pistolwink wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:00 pm I could easily imagine that's the case, but how then does Deaf Crocodile end up licensing stuff from Russia?
Deaf Crocodile has been licensing from Seagull Films, which is based in the US. I'm guessing it's similar to how I Am Cuba could be released because Milestone already had the rights and Criterion licensed from them, rather than from Mosfilm directly. Kino did license Que Viva Mexico from Mosfilm for their DVD edition.

Given how things have turned out, thank goodness Criterion got those Tarkovskys out when they did.

Re: Kino

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:27 am
by drdoros
pistolwink wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 9:00 pm I'm guessing it's similar to how I Am Cuba could be released because Milestone already had the rights and Criterion licensed from them, rather than from Mosfilm directly.
You are correct in this particular case (I don't know about the others). Milestone licensed I AM CUBA from Mosfilm long before the war with Ukraine.

Re: Kino

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 9:28 am
by pistolwink
Does Seagull (who is essentially one woman IIRC) effectively broker between Gosfilmofund, Mosfilm, and foreign distributors? Because I doubt Seagull has immediate access to restored digital copies of the films Deaf Crocodile is releasing. (I know that Seagull has worked with film archives and producers in post-Soviet states like Kazakhstan as well, which are not under sanctions, so that may be the case for some of the films in question.)

Re: Kino

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:23 pm
by Peacock
The films themselves are not sanctioned, so there’s nothing preventing Western labels from licensing whatever Russian film they like, but it means lot’s of hoops to jump through in terms of paying the Russian licence holder, esp as Mosfilm banks with Sberbank which is under Western sanctions.

I believe Victoria Belopolsky is Verlotsky’s boots on the ground in Moscow to help untangle that side of things. But I imagine it’s still tricky. Dennis Bartok at Deaf Croc goes way back with Verlotsky so that relationship makes things easier. But there’s no law against using 4K Russian restorations. Seagull seemed to be involved in Criterion’s The Fall of Otrar, and rep the Aleksei German films.

But I’m not sure if Kino have worked with Seagull before so maybe the costs and complications were just too prohibitive to include the Russian restoration of Que Viva Mexico.

Re: Kino

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 4:42 pm
by Calvin
Quite apart from the logistical difficulties in doing so, there's also the moral argument against giving money to Mosfilm at the present time.

Re: Kino

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 6:22 pm
by drdoros
Calvin wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 4:42 pm Quite apart from the logistical difficulties in doing so, there's also the moral argument against giving money to Mosfilm at the present time.
And that's why I jumped in the discussion. I am 1/4 Ukrainian, though my family left in 1895. :D

Re: Kino

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2026 2:17 pm
by pistolwink
The Fall of Otrar is be a Kazakh film, so Criterion and Seagull would be dealing with Kazakhfilm, no? Verlotsky has long helped to bring Central Asian films to the U.S., for which I'm very grateful.

(BTW I think Verlotsky's day job these days is being a consultant for wedding dresses for, one presumes, rich people from the former Soviet sphere who live in the NY area! Everyone's gotta eat.)