Page 182 of 183
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:54 pm
by bad future
Love Singing, Ringing Tree... got the blu-ray released a few years ago by Network, shortly before they folded. Glad someone else has picked it up since that release didn't have a very long window, and even more exciting that it's part of a whole MoC DEFA set! Looking forward to more info.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 10:56 pm
by ianthemovie
On last month's Deaf Crocodile podcast Dennis mentioned that two of the DEFA films are directed by Gottfried Kolditz, so I'm guessing these might be Frau Holle and Snow White, both based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. Something Weird released a VHS rip of the latter film back in the day and I remember it being pretty schlocky, but I'd be curious to see it again in a proper presentation.
Dennis also mentioned on the podcast that they may or may not release a Volume II of these depending on how this first set does.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2026 3:41 am
by What A Disgrace
I suspect Wolfgang Staudte's The Story of Little Mook is a high likelihood for the Eureka! set, considering it is early in the cycle, was a massive box office hit, and they already released a Staudte film in a previous DEFA set.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2026 2:46 pm
by Finch
July tease: "two fools, a book of old spells and a pair of beasts awaken soon"
The silent film font pretty much confirms the final Laurel & Hardy silent set (the 6 month exclusivity for Flicker Alley is expiring).
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu May 14, 2026 2:39 pm
by Finch
Eureka have a
25% off sale.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu May 28, 2026 1:40 pm
by Finch
Standard editions coming in August for the Fantomas 1964-67 and Zen & Sword sets
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu May 28, 2026 2:39 pm
by tenia
I'm very surprised the Zen & Sword set sold out so quickly (though it's obviously good for Eureka).
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu May 28, 2026 2:45 pm
by dwk
I wonder if Eureka regrets passing on releasing the Zen & Sword set in the US?
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2026 7:59 pm
by dwk
Speaking of Eureka US, another set of announcement and nothing in the US. They haven't released a title in the US since April. DukeTogo over at the Blu-ray.com forum said that Eureka told him that they have some US releases on tap for next year, but it really looks like they are planning to exit the US market. (MVD's webstore is currently running a 50% off sale on nearly all of Eureka's US releases.)
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2026 8:06 pm
by Lowry_Sam
With Scarlet Street announcement, could The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers come soon too?
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2026 8:50 pm
by The Fanciful Norwegian
Only if Eureka is able to access the Paramount library again—The Strange Love of Martha Ivers is one of the handful of their pre-August 1949 releases they didn't sell to MCA and hence isn't with Universal.
EDIT: Forgot this was a public domain title. But Paramount probably has the best available elements and the Kino Lorber release used a Paramount restoration, so I doubt MoC would do an unlicensed edition.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2026 8:58 pm
by hearthesilence
I honestly forgot Eureka had U.S. releases.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2026 1:53 pm
by MovieBuff647
Eureka have mentioned to me via email in a back-and-forth convo this year that they're considering PAPER MOON 4K for 2027 after I mentioned to them that while Criterion's 4K remaster itself is perfect, it would benefit from a stronger encode (preferably by FiM) and asked if they'd consider releasing it.
I implore people to email Eureka and show your interest.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2026 4:32 pm
by Maltic
Criterion's Paper Moon is a certified red in the UHD thread, so I think I could find better use for FiM's time tbh.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2026 4:45 pm
by therewillbeblus
Absolutely, and a terrific package altogether. No notes
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2026 6:56 pm
by Finch
I'm good with the Criterion, too. This feels like one of those marginal improvements that I don't want to triple dip for. Agree that FiM and MoC should focus on something else instead.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2026 7:58 pm
by Calvin
From their Paramount licenses, I would much sooner they upgraded Nashville. I'm happy with the Criterion release of Paper Moon
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2026 7:54 pm
by MovieBuff647
Maltic wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2026 4:32 pm
Criterion's Paper Moon is a certified red in the UHD thread, so I think I could find better use for FiM's time tbh.
therewillbeblus wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2026 4:45 pm
Absolutely, and a terrific package altogether. No notes
Finch wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2026 6:56 pm
I'm good with the Criterion, too. This feels like one of those marginal improvements that I don't want to triple dip for. Agree that FiM and MoC should focus on something else instead.
Disagree. The Criterion UHD has clipped highlights with the occasional blockiness. Not a terrible effort, but definitely a pre-2026 NexSpec encode, which is baffling as it's just SDR in an HDR container. The Criterion BD is certainly a solid encoding effort—and their remaster itself is of course perfect—but as far as UHD goes, I'd love to see Eureka take a crack at it. And the fact that it is only available on UHD here in the US and not everyone wants to import a release that has its extras on a Region A-locked disc.
Also, the Criterion UHD is in a flimsy DigiPack, yuck!
Calvin wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2026 7:58 pm
From their Paramount licenses, I would much sooner they upgraded Nashville. I'm happy with the Criterion release of Paper Moon
The difference is Eureka's PAPER MOON BD is still in print while their NASHVILLE BD has been OOP for years. I wouldn't say no to a Eureka UHD of NASHVILLE, however.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2026 9:01 pm
by MovieBuff647
Lowry_Sam wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2026 8:06 pm
With
Scarlet Street announcement, could
The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers come soon too?
Hoping Eureka release the latter so I won't make the mistake of buying another Kino title only for Eureka to announce it.
To be fair, I only bought Kino's SCARLET STREET 4K (which I've fortunately sold off) roughly two weeks before Eureka's unexpected announcement because of word going around that Universal were closing off licensing to most labels, so I assumed there was no way a good label based in the UK would release it anytime soon or Indicator would've jumped on it already. And yet!
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2026 10:24 pm
by rapta
Calvin wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2026 7:58 pm
From their Paramount licenses, I would much sooner they upgraded Nashville. I'm happy with the Criterion release of Paper Moon
Sadly, Paramount have reissued a barebones Nashville recently in the UK, so that's not happening anytime soon. I wonder if the master isn't suitable for UHD for whatever reason, meaning Eureka passed on it?
In fact, I'm looking through which Paramount titles seem to still be in print with MoC, and have bolded those with known 4K masters.
In print: Wings,
Serpico, White Dog, Ace in the Hole, If....,
Paper Moon,
Stalag 17, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Seconds,
Shane, The Quiet Man,
Three Days of the Condor, Cloak & Dagger, Rio Grande,
High Noon, The Spy Who Came In from the Cold,
Johnny Guitar, Rio Lobo,
Danger: Diabolik, Oh! What a Lovely War
Out of print:
Nashville,
Harold and Maude, Too Late Blues, Medium Cool, The Naked Prey,
A New Leaf, That Cold Day in the Park, The Last Command, Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean, Long Day's Journey into Night, Champion, The Sun Shines Bright
Confusing how long some of those remaining licenses are, but maybe they already renewed them a couple of years ago? As I've said, Nashville has been reissued by Paramount already, and possibly wasn't 4K UHD ready; same goes for The Quiet Man despite Eureka's release still being available. I'd be surprised if Eureka didn't try to re-license Harold and Maude or A New Leaf for 4K upgrades, but I suppose they would've done that already by now.
Most likely upgrades based on the above information would be Serpico and Paper Moon, and possibly Shane and/or Johnny Guitar too if they felt like upgrading more Westerns (I personally prefer both to High Noon, but that 4K upgrade might've partially been a barometer to gauge demand). Three Days of the Condor would be fun of course, depends how strongly it sold in the first place.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 1:14 pm
by MovieBuff647
rapta wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2026 10:24 pm
Calvin wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2026 7:58 pm
From their Paramount licenses, I would much sooner they upgraded Nashville. I'm happy with the Criterion release of Paper Moon
Sadly, Paramount have reissued a barebones Nashville recently in the UK, so that's not happening anytime soon. I wonder if the master isn't suitable for UHD for whatever reason, meaning Eureka passed on it?
The master is 100% suitable for UHD and even has DV/HDR on iTunes, it's just a Paramount decision.
5 & DIME also got a 4K from Vinegar Syndrome recently, FYI.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 1:46 pm
by FrauBlucher
Finch wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2026 6:56 pm
I'm good with the Criterion, too. This feels like one of those marginal improvements that I don't want to triple dip for. Agree that FiM and MoC should focus on something else instead.
Does FiM and MoC work together on a regular basis?
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 2:18 pm
by nicolas
Yes.
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 4:50 pm
by FrauBlucher
So the chance FiM is doing SCARLET STREET is strong and should look better than the KLSC?
Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 5:33 pm
by rapta
MovieBuff647 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2026 1:14 pm
rapta wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2026 10:24 pm
Calvin wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2026 7:58 pm
From their Paramount licenses, I would much sooner they upgraded Nashville. I'm happy with the Criterion release of Paper Moon
Sadly, Paramount have reissued a barebones Nashville recently in the UK, so that's not happening anytime soon. I wonder if the master isn't suitable for UHD for whatever reason, meaning Eureka passed on it?
The master is 100% suitable for UHD and even has DV/HDR on iTunes, it's just a Paramount decision.
5 & DIME also got a 4K from Vinegar Syndrome recently, FYI.
Ugh, Criterion have just announced Nashville 4K. Eureka dropped the ball if they passed on the opportunity, but could just as easily have been Paramount UK being weird or difficult. Huge shame though as UK collectors will now miss out on a similar 4K release that could have existed.
I did notice 5 & Dime got a 4K bump, good for them. A shame the extras discs for these are region locked, like the Paramount titles Arrow have been putting out, not to mention every Criterion release.