Page 3 of 3

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2026 5:46 am
by tenia

MichaelB wrote: As for "artificially made not to be", it's pretty much never the case that a boutique label will region-lock if they don't have to; it's always a contractual obligation imposed by the rightsholder. A savvy label will actively want people to buy outside the region, and will therefore ensure that there are no compatibility barriers beyond the simple region flag.
I read "artificially" as "a debatable contractually-imposed practice", made to look all the more archaic by UHD's choice to be without locking by design.

However, while not wanting to play the devil's advocate, isn't a label actively looking to sell outside its market... breaching that contract ? The savviness is obvious, and I'm myself part of those who can navigate around region-locking, but, say, Indicator's Region B UK releases are for movies they only have the rights in the UK, possibly because someone else have them elsewhere (in the US, but also in other Region B markets - France, Germany, Italy, etc). One could argue that actively (key word) looking to sell past the borders of the rights they hold is over-stepping contractually.

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2026 5:49 am
by MichaelB
To quote that splendid Polish phrase, “not my circus, not my monkeys”. On a technical level, I do what the label asks of me, unless of course it’s impossible (although this is hardly ever the case with the labels I freelance for).

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2026 8:45 am
by tenia
I certainly understand this, but what we're writing here about this matter certainly is our circus and thus our monkey. :)

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2026 9:35 am
by MichaelB
I think you underestimate how little I care about this stuff when it’s not in my professional in-tray.

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2026 1:59 pm
by nowhereisaplace
I just received this and the package looks amazing. Per usual, the Adrian Martin essay is excellent. I can't wait to dive into the rest.

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:29 pm
by denti alligator
Mine finally shipped from Orbit today. It’s held up an order I placed in April. Excited to get it and a bunch of other goodies.

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:36 pm
by Grand Wazoo
domino harvey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2026 9:49 pm I doubt this sells out for a while, late period Godard is not as popular as some of us on this forum make it seem. I recall Arrow took forever to sell through their Dziga Vertov boxes, though those are admittedly much more obtuse then these films
75% sold out according to the Discord.

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:58 pm
by mfunk9786
Grand Wazoo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:36 pm
domino harvey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2026 9:49 pm I doubt this sells out for a while, late period Godard is not as popular as some of us on this forum make it seem. I recall Arrow took forever to sell through their Dziga Vertov boxes, though those are admittedly much more obtuse then these films
75% sold out according to the Discord.
It's a really nice looking package. Not something I'd usually buy (sorry to those who enjoy late period Godard) but part of me was like "but ooh, look at it!"

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2026 12:26 am
by hearthesilence
It's tempting to get this, but I'll have to think it over. Since the Madman DVD was exemplary, I imagine the extras are really the selling point rather than any potential upgrade in PQ.

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2026 5:47 pm
by Calvin
The Cinematheque Francaise's Henri platform has the 1988 Entretien entre Serge Daney et Jean-Luc Godard, recorded when Godard had started working on Histoire(s), streaming for free with subtitles. Looks like it has been digitised from the original tapes.
Grand Wazoo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:36 pm
domino harvey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2026 9:49 pm I doubt this sells out for a while, late period Godard is not as popular as some of us on this forum make it seem. I recall Arrow took forever to sell through their Dziga Vertov boxes, though those are admittedly much more obtuse then these films
75% sold out according to the Discord.
Hopefully bodes well for further Godard releases from Radiance. Nouvelle Vague is still conspicuous by its absence on disc and it would be great to get the recent restorations of In Praise of Love, Notre Musique, and Passion on disc as well.

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2026 8:18 pm
by nowhereisaplace
Calvin wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2026 5:47 pm The Cinematheque Francaise's Henri platform has the 1988 Entretien entre Serge Daney et Jean-Luc Godard, recorded when Godard had started working on Histoire(s), streaming for free with subtitles. Looks like it has been digitised from the original tapes.
Grand Wazoo wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2026 11:36 pm
domino harvey wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2026 9:49 pm I doubt this sells out for a while, late period Godard is not as popular as some of us on this forum make it seem. I recall Arrow took forever to sell through their Dziga Vertov boxes, though those are admittedly much more obtuse then these films
75% sold out according to the Discord.
Hopefully bodes well for further Godard releases from Radiance. Nouvelle Vague is still conspicuous by its absence on disc and it would be great to get the recent restorations of In Praise of Love, Notre Musique, and Passion on disc as well.
And all of these films can be paired with shorter works from the same period that explore similar themes and preoccupations, much like this Histoire(s) box. I am thinking of Scenario du film Passion, Passion, le travail et l'amour, the shorts he made at Zoetrope around the same time for the Passion package, several late 80's/early 90's video shorts he did around the time of Nouvelle Vague, etc. Would be a great way to release some interesting lesser-seen work alongside the acknowledged masterpieces.

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2026 10:42 pm
by domino harvey
Got my copy and it’s much slimmer than I expected. It’s exactly the width of the old Criterion double wide DVD cases, if you need a visual to plan for your shelf space

Image

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2026 1:45 am
by Matt
Shelving discussion moved here

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:03 pm
by swo17
This is 95% sold out

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 10:18 pm
by TMDaines
swo17 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:03 pm This is 95% sold out
Where'd you see this update?

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 10:33 pm
by swo17
An email sent out to subscribers

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 11:53 pm
by domino harvey
Huh well I'll be damned, I was wrong! Bring on more late period Godard then!

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 12:07 am
by Lowry_Sam
I don't think people's interest in Godard's take on the history of cinema says anything about whether they'd buy his later period fictional works on disc.

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 12:15 am
by domino harvey
Only one way to find out

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2026 5:00 pm
by Stefan Andersson
A Skeleton Key to Histoire(s) du cinéma, Adrian Martin:
https://sabzian.be/text/a-skeleton-key- ... in%C3%A9ma

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:06 am
by domino harvey
Rewatched the first segment and I’m not thrilled with the presentation here, as I guess I assumed we were getting a more complete version to match the attention to detail paid to making sure the text on the cover was raised and looks cool. I know these have always had spotty/intermittent subtitling on home video, but it’s odd that given the opportunity, Radiance leaves the clips in foreign languages unsubtitled, as though what is being said doesn’t matter, and so far has missed a couple Godard lines/textes as well (and if you don’t know French well enough, you may miss that certain lines are repeated and not subtitled on reiteration, so you might think it’s even worse than it is)

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:24 am
by Noiretirc
I just hugged my Olive Films version then.

Re: 186-188 Histoire(s) du cinéma and other works

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:12 am
by hearthesilence
My French is pretty spotty, but keeping up with Godard's films during the 2010s has probably done more than anything else to strengthen my French skills due to the sparse subtitling. IIRC he said that was intentional, at least for Film Socialisme, but I think it was equally if not more apparent on Le Livre d'image and I'm guessing on all editions of Histoire(s) du cinéma. (I have the Madman edition.)

Godard loved to play with language though, especially phonetically, and much of that doesn't come through unless you're somewhat familiar with the language.