Page 29 of 29
Re: Mikio Naruse
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2026 8:11 pm
by Stefan Andersson
Re: Mikio Naruse
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2026 12:45 am
by andyli
Not just Ginza Cosmetics. Repast also receives a recent 4K restoration.
Re: Mikio Naruse
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 11:19 pm
by artfilmfan
Great news on the recently restored When a Woman Ascends the Stairs and Scattered Clouds posted in the Recent Film Restorations thread. Here’s hoping for their releases on Blu-ray soon.
Re: Mikio Naruse
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 2:15 am
by Michael Kerpan
I hope all these restorations get (subbed) home video releases. Especially Repast.
Re: Mikio Naruse
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 2:20 am
by Lowry_Sam
Michael Kerpan wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 2:15 am
I hope all these restorations get (subbed) home video releases. Especially Repast.
And hopefully English friendly. It would be nice if they did them in chronological blocks & release groups in small box sets.
Re: Mikio Naruse
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 10:52 am
by artfilmfan
Hopefully Floating Clouds sold well such that BFI would want to release these other Naruse films on Blu-ray. These are excellent films. The Naruse films that I often revisit over the years are: Floating Clouds, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs, and Scattered Clouds. To me, Scattered Clouds is the last finest Japanese film made during the Golden era. And up to today, I think only Maborosi has equalled or bettered it.
Re: Mikio Naruse
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 2:16 pm
by Michael Kerpan
I am greedy -- as I really want at least 40 (but maybe even 50+) Naruse films readily available in the best form possible.
Re: Mikio Naruse
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:55 pm
by senseabove
Same, especially since Naruse is a director whose subtlety rewards immersion. I really hope Yearning, Two in the Shadow, Sound of the Mountain, Wife! Be Like a Rose and A Wife's Heart are on the docket.
Re: Mikio Naruse
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:05 pm
by artfilmfan
That’s a lot of greed, Michael (and senseabove since you expressed sameness). My wishes for English-friendly Naruse on Blu-ray are the films in the MoC and BFI DVD box sets plus Scattered Clouds, Yearning, and A Wife’s Heart. Floating Clouds has been taken care of; therefore, only eight more films to go. And with three of the eight having been restored, the chance for the wishes to be fulfilled is good (I hope). If some company or entity were willing to rise to the occasion to fulfill your “greedy” wish, I’ll probably buy the other films, too.
