Page 1 of 1

Re: Transmission, Raro, Arbelos UK and other sublabels

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2026 10:14 am
by Finch
Image

When Van Helsing (Peter Fonda) kills Dracula with a stake through the heart, the Count’s daughter Nadja (Elina Löwensohn) sets out to reclaim his body, embarking on a dark odyssey that begins on the streets of downtown Brooklyn and ends in Transylvania. Sexy, funny, and with an achingly hip soundtrack featuring My Bloody Valentine and Portishead, Nadja is a sui generis blend of classic vampire horror and 90s independent film-making, presented in glorious Pixelvision.

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY FEATURES

New 4K restoration by Arbelos and Grasshopper Film
Original uncompressed 2.0 stereo audio and 5.1 Dolby Surround mix
The Pain of Fleeting Joy - new critical appreciation from novelist and screenwriter Megan Abbott
Comfort in the Shadows - Nadja locations tour with journalist and filmmaker Michael Gingold
The Cult of Nadja - interview with programmer Geoffrey Badger on the film’s cult legacy
New interview with star Elina Löwensohn
New interview with producer Mary Sweeney
New interview with producer Amy Hobby
New interview with cinematographer Jim Denault
New interview with composer Simon Fisher-Turner
New interview with filmmaker Bertrand Mandico
U.S. theatrical re-release trailer
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Booklet featuring new writing by Vadim Rizov and Jason Wood
Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in and full-height Scanavo packaging with O-card featuring new artwork by Sister Hyde and removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings

Re: Transmission, Raro, Arbelos UK and other sublabels

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2026 1:02 pm
by therewillbeblus
So the differences between the Arbelos and Transmission Nadja releases are three short films on the Arbelos vs. a new critical appreciation from Megan Abbott, a locations tour, and interview on the film’s cult legacy on the Transmission, in addition to different booklet essays

Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2026 2:22 pm
by dadaistnun
Two of the short films (Aliens and The Rocking Horse Winner) are available on Almereyda's website and At Sundance is on YT if anyone wants to check them out ahead of making purchasing decisions. (At Sundance is feature length btw at 71 minutes.)

Re: Transmission, Raro, Arbelos UK and other sublabels

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2026 3:01 am
by domino harvey
dadaistnun wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2026 2:22 pm Two of the short films (Aliens and The Rocking Horse Winner) are available on Almereyda's website and At Sundance is on YT if anyone wants to check them out ahead of making purchasing decisions. (At Sundance is feature length btw at 71 minutes.)
I’ll do you one better: all three were bonuses on the DVD for Another Girl Another Planet, which is only $5.99 on MVD’s website and you get a whole other feature to boot (these are Pixelvision, you do not need HD copies)

Re: Transmission, Raro, Arbelos UK and other sublabels

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2026 3:22 am
by swo17
Thanks for the tip!

Re: Transmission, Raro, Arbelos UK and other sublabels

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2026 3:58 am
by dadaistnun
Yes, thanks for this! I've never seen Another Girl Another Planet and was hoping one of the Nadja editions would include it so this is great.

Re: Transmission, Raro, Arbelos UK and other sublabels

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 7:37 am
by ryannichols7
Nadja will indeed be a 4K after all

Re: Transmission, Raro, Arbelos UK and other sublabels

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 8:34 am
by Adam X
Despite the use of Pixelvision, it seemed unfortunate when only a blu-ray was announced. Good news, and I saved £6 while I slept!

Re: Transmission, Raro, Arbelos UK and other sublabels

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 9:01 am
by hearthesilence
Only a fraction of the movie was shot in Pixelvision, most of it was on 35mm. On the other hand, Almereyda's previous film, Another Girl Another Planet, was done completely in Pixelvision, and though that probably means it'll never get an HD release, I wonder if they could still go back to the original Pixelvision media and make a video master from that instead of using the 16mm negative created from the Pixelvision-to-film transfer. (tbh I'm guessing they wouldn't because that would mean re-grading the film and risk losing other aesthetic choices made within the technological and practical framework of that time.)

Re: Transmission, Raro, Arbelos UK and other sublabels

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 9:44 am
by Adam X
hearthesilence wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2026 9:01 amOnly a fraction of the movie was shot in Pixelvision, most of it was on 35mm.
I am aware. Thanks though ;)

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 3:22 pm
by DRW.mov
Radiance's description mentions Portishead on the soundtrack - can we infer that their release will include all the songs from the original version that were removed from the Arebelos release? Not sure why you'd mention it if its not still in the film.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 4:09 pm
by domino harvey
Perhaps a different licensing situation for the songs in the UK versus US? Good catch though, I didn’t know there were music substitutions

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 4:29 pm
by The Narrator Returns
My understanding from Almereyda interviews was that he took out the Portishead for this new restoration to include more of the original score/make it less tied specifically to 1994. I saw it in theaters and weirdly the edited music credits at the end not only didn’t include Portishead but also the My Bloody Valentine that’s definitely still in it.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 5:33 pm
by DRW.mov
The specs list the original 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround so maybe the two different soundtracks are presented as alternate audio tracks? Or maybe its just a typo since the legacy of the music in this film looms so large. A lot of publications that wrote about the restoration to get people to see it in theaters heavily mention the soundtrack despite the fact that it was changed for the new theatrical release.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 6:35 pm
by Zot!
The Narrator Returns wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2026 4:29 pm My understanding from Almereyda interviews was that he took out the Portishead for this new restoration to include more of the original score/make it less tied specifically to 1994.
Hilarious, yeah lets make sure that movie that includes Pixelvision footage is rendered timeless.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 9:54 pm
by Omensetter
I'm a big fan of the film, this was my most anticipated release of the year, and I would of course love to have it as I've remembered it all these years, so I'm heavily invested in what's going on regarding the Portishead tracks. Paul Martinovic, from the Radiance Discord:

"I also wanted to address what’s going on with the Portishead songs as that’s something I also have been a bit confused about
The new restoration is the version that world premiered at TIFF in 1994. After the premiere, David Lynch and Mary Sweeney lobbied to add the Portishead tracks, and trim a few minutes here and there. The version that played at Cinema Rediscovered and in the US is the original version without the songs and is, essentially, the director cut, though Michael hesitates to label it that was as ultimately he agreed to the suggested edits. He has said in Q+As/interviews though that he much prefers the original score used in these scenes and this is ultimately a truer reflection of his original vision for the film
Pretty sure that I know the next question will be, can you include the original audio
To which the answer is the same as the Pixelvision shorts: hands probably tied, looking into it"

I don't know why they advertised Portishead in the synopsis then? Do they know what they're releasing? Between this being Radiance or Transmission, blu or 4K, Portishead or not, this has been one of the messier releases in memory, and I hope they push it back if they can include both versions of the film. The Turner score is wonderful; it's just that many fell in love with the version featuring Portishead for over thirty years.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 10:25 pm
by Adam X
Things change all the time with home video releases. Just because they happen to be publically mentioning these, I’m not sure that really makes it messier than any other title.

I do hope they’re able to include the theatrical soundtrack though. While I’d be very interested to hear Almereyda’s original mix, what was released feels so tied to Nadja, it’d be weird to not have the option of watching it in that form. Would rather not have to hang onto my mediocre DVD.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2026 1:02 am
by Omensetter
Maybe twice a year, a boutique label announces a film I deeply cherish on a more fervent level, so I think ultimately I'm just annoyed that they're advertising something they don't have. But yes, it's miraculous that these Arbelos/Transmission editions exist to begin with—I'd just prefer to more enthusiastic than grateful.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2026 4:52 am
by Adam X
I honestly wasn’t aware that there ever was an alternate soundtrack, to the point that I didn’t even bother reading anything beyond the extras list. I love the film too, so this definitely dampens the excitement, but at least they’ve said they’re looking into including the theatrical mix.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2026 3:47 am
by dadaistnun
I watched the restoration on Criterion Channel last night and think the scenes where the Portishead songs were removed play really well with the score instead and I may actually prefer it that way (though I should maybe qualify this by adding that Simon Fisher Turner’s music is one of my favorite scores of its decade). That being said, I do hope they are able to include both mixes given how memorable those pairings of image and song are.
The Narrator Returns wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2026 4:29 pm the edited music credits at the end not only didn’t include Portishead but also the My Bloody Valentine that’s definitely still in it.
I took a look at the credits of the version we are all more familiar with, and the Portishead and MBV songs are actually later in the scroll, separate from the others songs with some non-music credits (I forget which ones) in between. Kind of strange, but honestly not as strange as the MBV songs not being listed at all now. It’s like they just removed that entire credit block.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2026 4:09 am
by Adam X
Don’t know if any further statements have been made, but the specs now list an additional “Uncompressed stereo PCM audio” track, so perhaps they’ve now managed to include both versions of the soundtrack?

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 7:03 pm
by midnitedave
I watched this on the Criterion Channel a few weeks ago and I must say that I'm quite the convert. Its dreamy pacing and Jarmusch-esque deadpan humor create such a vibe I resonated with that I had a rewatch only a few days later. When the Radiance disc drops, I'll definitely double feature this with Abel Ferrara's The Addiction.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 9:56 pm
by John Cope
Really wish someone would release a nice new edition of Almereyda's The Eternal as well.

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 11:02 pm
by ianthemovie
I haven't seen the movie yet but I've been trying to follow the conversation about the different soundtracks because I'm planning to blind buy one of the Blu-rays. I noticed that Arbelos now has more detailed info about their release:
Option to watch two alternate cuts: 1994 festival version, and 1995 theatrical version
Original 2.0 stereo audio (for both versions, unrestored for 1995 theatrical version) and 5.1 Dolby Surround mix (for 1994 festival version)
Maybe Transmission is planning to follow suit?

Re: Transmission: Nadja

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 11:54 pm
by Calvin
I believe the final specs are still to be finalised but Paul has already confirmed that it will have the theatrical cut with original audio as an option