Page 1 of 1

220 I... for Icarus

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2026 11:12 am
by Finch
Image

While riding in his motorcade and greeting the crowd, president Marc Jarry is assassinated. A suspect is quickly apprehended at the scene, his weapon found on a nearby balcony. All members of the commission investigating the event agree with its findings – except for Henri Volney (Yves Montand, Choice of Arms), who reopens the case. Heavily inspired by the JFK assassination and taking its stylistic cues from American films like The Conversation and The Parallax View, this conspiracy thriller from Henri Verneuil (Any Number Can Win) is a procedural gem all its own. Delving into the psychology of responsibility, murder, and obedience – with a chilling reenactment of the Milgram experiment – I… for Icarus keeps its audience teetering on the line between healthy scepticism and paranoia.

BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES

2K restoration by Gaumont
Uncompressed mono PCM audio
New visual essay by film critic and author Adam Nayman (2026)
Interview with screenwriter Didier Decoin (2022, 17 mins)
Interview with French director, film critic, and historian Jean-Baptiste Thoret (2022, 36 mins)
Archival TV interview with director Henri Verneuil and star Yves Montand (1979, 16 mins)
Newly improved English subtitle translation
Reversible sleeve featuring designs based on original posters
Limited edition booklet featuring new essay by film critic and author Mark Asch and archival writing

Re: 220 I... for Icarus

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2026 11:40 am
by Aunt Peg
Already have the Kino release but given just how much I like this film, I'm going to double dip.

Re: 220 I... for Icarus

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2026 9:59 pm
by domino harvey
domino harvey wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:59 pm I... comme Icare (Henri Verneuil 1979)
In an unnamed but French-looking country, a president is assassinated and Yves Montand’s attorney general refuses to sign off on the commission’s lone gunman report. He sets up his own commission and through some grim deductions uncovers a wider conspiracy. I was delighted that the decade that gave us so many great paranoid conspiracy thrillers had one more hidden treat to deliver with this film. Drawing heavily on existing JFK lore, this one has some novel beats that I quite enjoyed. For instance, how many conspiracy films grind to a halt to play out the famous Milgram experiment from Psych 101 for literally 20 minutes? One, this one. The ending is predictably bleak, but in these kind of films, that’s par for the course. The director gets a lot of mileage out of making the audience paranoid enough to recognize the danger in a certain architectural design long before the payoff arrives, though! Highly recommended.