The Musicals List REDUX

An ongoing project to survey the best films of individual decades, genres, and filmmakers
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Lowry_Sam
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: The Musicals List REDUX

#701 Post by Lowry_Sam »

Heads up to anyone in SF Bay area this month, Stanford Theatre is featuring Fox musicals this month:
September 11-13
Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938) 7:30 (plus 3:45 Sat/Sun)
Tin Pan Alley (1940) 5:45, 9:30

September 18-20
Moon Over Miami (1941) 7:30 (plus 4:05 Sat/Sun)
Down Argentine Way (1940) 5:50, 9:15

September 25-27
Sun Valley Serenade (1941) 7:30 (plus 4:00 Sat/Sun)
Orchestra Wives (1942) 5:40, 9:10
User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Re: The Musicals List REDUX

#702 Post by domino harvey »

Orchestra Wives is the best of those I’ve seen from that lot. With a few exceptions Fox is not a great studio for musicals. I just slogged through my remaining titles from the Carmen Miranda box set and while it’s amusing to see how she was seen by the studio track across the films (from featured novelty act to literal second banana comic relief counting down to her contract not getting renewed), these aren’t very good (and I don’t need to see three Perry Como movies in a row ever). Doll Face fared best for basically riffing on Gypsy, I guess, but Miranda barely factors into it and most of the movies in the box devoted to her
User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Re: The Musicals List Discussion and Suggestions (Genre Proj

#703 Post by domino harvey »

domino harvey wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:04 am Revisited Good News recently and for the first time watched the deleted musical number, "An Easier Way," included on the DVD, and wow, this is up there as one of the great travesties of cut songs in the history of the genre (The one-shot "Is It a Crime?" always comes to mind for me as the quintessential unjustly scrapped number, especially since it's better than anything else found in Bells Are Ringing). Had it stayed in, it would easily be the second best number in the film (nothing could possibly top "Pass the Peace Pipe"). It would have also tipped the scales back into June Allyson's favor, as her other solo songs are pretty forgettable. I couldn't find it on YouTube, so sorry, you'll have to dig out your discs to watch it, but wanted to put it on y'all's radar in case like me you didn't realize it was lurking there
Someone did God’s work - I reiterate, what was MGM thinking?!
User avatar
Beloved Aunt
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:28 pm

Re: The Musicals List REDUX

#704 Post by Beloved Aunt »

I love that song and I haven't even seen the movie. & I agree, I would like to know why the hell it was cut!! (I hope it wasn't because it is a mildly sexual song, maybe related to June Allyson's or someone's preferences re: her public image, but I can't think of any other reason.)
domino harvey wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:28 am It would have also tipped the scales back into June Allyson's favor, as her other solo songs are pretty forgettable.
Are the other, non-Peace Pipe songs in the film that aren't June Allyson solos at least better than average?
User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Re: The Musicals List REDUX

#705 Post by domino harvey »

It’s one of the best musicals, so yes! Varsity Drag (which basically got copied every time someone made a college musical the same way An American in Paris inspired all those closing ballets), French Lesson, Be a Ladies Man, Lucky in Love off the top of my head
Post Reply